On occasion, when TaxCalc is not working as expected, users may need to make a backup of TaxCalc from outside of the program. It is still possible to make a backup of the database through a utility (known as PGAdminIII or PGAdmin) provided within the database engine itself. This will only work if the database engine is functioning correctly.
- Go to Start > Search and type PGAdmin. Press return.
- The results should show the PGAdmin program icon. If more than one is found, hover over each one and select the 9.4 version (as shown below).
- Once PGAdmin is open, a screen similar to the one below will be shown. If more than one is present select the 9.4 version.
- After double-clicking this option, you will be presented with the login screen. At this point enter the Root Database Password and continue.
- If the root database password is not known, this can be reset from the Knowledge Base article Resetting the root database password.
- Select Databases > hub.
- Right-hand click on hub and choose the backup option.
- Click on the ... box and select the path where you want the database to be saved.
IMPORTANT: Always enter a full path. Just entering a filename and not a full path will cause the backup to fail.
- Allow the backup to finish. The following screen will be shown when the backup is complete.
The backup is now complete.