Knowledgebase Support HMRC Useful links
Knowledgebase home
Tax Return Production
Accounts Production
Practice Management
VAT Filer
Anti-Money Laundering
Support home
Video Training Guides

Hot Topics
SimpleStep Guides
Release Notes
Known Issues

Service Status
Useful Links
What is MTD? Support for Accountants Support for Business
HMRC's MTD Timeline
Digital Requirements
TaxCalc's MTD Journey
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
Step-by-step Guide
Sub Categories
folder SA100 Individual Return
folder SA800 Partnership Return
folder SA900 Trust Return
folder CT600 Corporation Tax Return
folder R40
folder Filing Online

Tax Return Production
Claiming rent a room relief and property allowance
HMRC have confirmed that an individual can claim the property allowance for one property and rent a room relief for another. If rent a room income is below £7,500*, this is very straightforward. In HMRC Forms mode, on page UKP1, tick box 4 (If you are claiming rent a room relief and your rents...
rating 24 Mar, 2020 Views: 3102
HMRC API - Available Tax Years
The HMRC API can be used with the following years. Note if a submission has already been made, this will not return any data 2021/22 2020/21 2019/20 2018/19 2017/18 2016/17 The following years are available but may NOT return relevant data as HMRC are currently conducting automatic...
rating 29 Mar, 2023 Views: 3059
Entrepreneurs Relief changes from 11 March 2020
Entrepreneur’s Relief- disposals after 11 March 2020 What has changed? Whilst it was announced in the Budget 2020 that the lifetime allowance would be reduced from £10 million to £1million for disposals made on or after 11 March 2020, at the time of writing, there has been no legislative...
rating 24 May, 2023 Views: 3030
How do I view, modify or import old CT600 returns? (Practice customers)
If you want to open a CT600 return made in an earlier version of TaxCalc, follow these steps: Go to Practice Manager. Click on Import Client Select the tax year you wish to import the file from click Continue Choose if you want to import a single return or multiple returns and Browse to...
rating 29 Mar, 2022 Views: 2983
My P60 from employment is showing a negative tax deducted figure – where do I enter this?
In certain circumstances, your P60 may show a negative tax deducted figure. HMRC's online filing portal will only allow you to input this within the Employment pages if you have another employment in the year to offset the tax amount again. If you do have a second employment schedule, enter the...
rating 23 Aug, 2023 Views: 2965
How do I register for online filing to HMRC?
To register for online filing you'll need your: Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) – the 10-digit number that appears on any correspondence from HMRC. National Insurance number or postcode. If you don't have a UTR, complete the Registering for Self Assessment form. HMRC will then send you...
rating 24 Mar, 2022 Views: 2959
How do I move my tax return between two computers to file online? (Individual Users)
To move your tax return between two computers, it is recommended follow these steps: Complete your tax return and save it to a known location using File > Save. To find a tax return that you've already saved, go to My Returns, click on your name and make a note of the file location. Exit...
rating 27 Dec, 2019 Views: 2910
You must enter the Type of Capital Allowances / Purchase Date
If you receive either of these error messages when you click on Check & Finish, it means that there's an empty asset somewhere within the Capital Allowance wizard. To correct this you will need to go into the Capital Allowance wizard in SimpleStep mode and remove the empty asset. Further...
rating 28 Mar, 2022 Views: 2899
TaxCalc bookkeeping spreadsheet transaction templates for MTD
To assist you with complying with digital links for MTD reporting, we have produced spreadsheet templates for recording transactions and summarising totals. The totals can then be imported by VAT Filer (for quarterly MTD VAT return submissions) and will be ready to use with Business Filer (for...
rating 29 Sep, 2022 Views: 2892
How do I remove the watermark when printing a return?
If you want to remove a watermark from a tax return, you'll need to amend the printing preferences: Open the tax return. Click on Check and Finish. Click on Print or paper file return. Click on Next Step in the HMRC warning message (if applicable). Un-tick Would you like to add a watermark?...
rating 29 Mar, 2022 Views: 2782
How do I use the demo database?
The demo database allows you to practise using TaxCalc on a separate standalone database and trial its features without having to enter lots of data. To use the demo database, follow these steps: Start up the trial product in TaxCalc. Click on Notifications in the top right-hand corner. ...
rating 04 Jul, 2022 Views: 2668
How to use the annual pension allowance and contribution details wizard from 2022/23
When should I use the annual pension allowance wizard? If your total pension contributions are close to exceeding your annual pension allowance and/or your pension allowance is likely to be tapered, you can use the wizard to: Calculate excess contributions and possible pension tax charge Keep...
rating 29 Mar, 2023 Views: 2648
Private Pensions, Lump Sums and 25% from drawn down pensions
Lump sum payments from a final salary pension are received free of tax and are not entered on the SA100 (individual tax) return. For any draw down payments that have a tax free element (25%), the taxable amount (75%) should be declared on the return as usual. If you are unsure where the pension...
rating 07 Jun, 2023 Views: 2565
Error #5017 - Known Facts Check - Failed to match tax reference
‘SuRF’ (Suspected Repayment Fraud) Letters (FBI error 5017) Error 5017: Failed to match Tax Reference The individuals UTR for this tax return has been ‘blocked’ by HMRC. A repayment claim made in a previous tax year, has failed routine...
rating 05 Apr, 2022 Views: 2553
Claiming Married Couples Allowance
Married Couples Allowance (MCA) is an age related allowance applicable if at least one spouse is born before 6th April 1935. It could reduce your tax bill by between £353 and £912.50 a year. You can claim Married Couple’s Allowance if all of the following criteria apply: you’re...
rating 28 Mar, 2022 Views: 2523

Prev Next