Knowledgebase Support HMRC Useful links
Knowledgebase home
Tax Return Production
Accounts Production
Practice Management
VAT Filer
Anti-Money Laundering
Support home
Video Training Guides

Hot Topics
SimpleStep Guides
Release Notes
Known Issues

Service Status
Useful Links
What is MTD? Support for Accountants Support for Business
HMRC's MTD Timeline
Digital Requirements
TaxCalc's MTD Journey
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
Step-by-step Guide
Sub Categories
folder SA100 Individual Return
folder SA800 Partnership Return
folder SA900 Trust Return
folder CT600 Corporation Tax Return
folder R40
folder Filing Online

Tax Return Production
Which box does my mileage figure post to in the wizard?
There are two possible sections in TaxCalc where you can enter the mileage figure. SimpleStep mode: Your Work > Employment > Fringe Benefits > Vouchers, credit cards and excess mileage allowance > Mileage Wizard. OR Your Work > Expenses > Business travel and subsistence...
rating 06 Jun, 2023 Views: 1701
Do I receive tax relief for my Gift Aid payments?
When you make a Gift Aid payment you have to state that you pay enough tax for the charity to claim back the basic rate of tax paid on the donated amount. If you pay the basic rate tax, you won't receive any tax relief. If you're a higher rate taxpayer, you'll receive additional tax relief...
rating 02 Mar, 2018 Views: 1698
Restricted Finance Costs from Property Income
Restricted Finance Costs from Property Income From 6 April 2017, new rules were introduced to restrict deductions from property income for finance costs for residential properties for individuals . The measure was introduced is to restrict relief for finance costs to the basic rate of income tax...
rating 29 Mar, 2022 Views: 1666
When do I make payments on account?
You'll usually have to make two payments on account for the current year's tax: One by 31 January in the current year. One by the following 31 July. Each payment is half of the tax due for the previous year. For example, for the tax year 2022-23 (6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023), the first...
rating 29 Mar, 2023 Views: 1627
Where do I enter any credit already on my HMRC account?
Enter any credit already on your HMRC account in SimpleStep or HMRC Forms mode. SimpleStep mode Go to Working out your tax > Payments on account. Enter the credit amount in the box Please also enter here any other payments or credits towards... HMRC Forms mode Go to Payments on...
rating 29 Mar, 2022 Views: 1623
What do I do if a provisional field validation message appears but there are no provisional fields?
If you receive a provisional field validation message when there are no provisional fields, you need to un-mark the return as provisional. SimpleStep mode (SA100) Select Other Information from the left-hand menu. Un-tick the second box 'Any of the figures you have given are provisional'. ...
rating 23 Mar, 2021 Views: 1608
How do I upgrade my TaxCalc practice software?
To understand some of the terms used on this page please read What is the difference between renewing, upgrading and updating my TaxCalc practice software?. You can upgrade your TaxCalc Tax Return Production or Accounts Production package to a different one at any time. If you're within 30 days...
rating 12 Feb, 2020 Views: 1574
How do I use TaxCalc's Encrypted PDF tool?
Encrypted PDF is an add-on product provided by TaxCalc, that allows a return to be saved as a PDF document and then encrypted with a password. This encrypted PDF document will not open until the correct password has been entered. As the password is hard coded into the document itself, it will be...
rating 23 Oct, 2019 Views: 1549
I can't import partnership profits to individual return
If you can't import partnership profits to an individual return, make sure that the two are linked in the partnership return: Launch Practice Manager. Select partnership return. Right click; ​​​Open In> Tax Production> Open. Click on Add New Partner. Enter details for the new...
rating 07 Feb, 2020 Views: 1539
Can I use Dropbox or other file hosting services to store and share my data? (Practice users)
If you use a stand-alone machine, we recommend that you store your data on the default local database to ensure that all data is stored centrally and securely. However, if you want to share data in a cloud or hosted environment such as Dropbox, you can store data in individual files as with...
rating 23 Mar, 2022 Views: 1527
Claiming relief on P2P loans
To claim relief on peer-to-peer (P2P) loans for the current tax year (2022/23), you will need to make a manual reduction before entering figures onto the return. Please see the guidance published by HMRC (Income tax relief for irrecoverable peer to peer loans guidance) for more information....
rating 29 Mar, 2023 Views: 1504
How do I carry back partnership losses?
To carry back a partnership loss for the current year to a previous year, you need to make a manual adjustment to your SA100 tax return for the year in which the loss occurred. You don't need to re-submit your return for the previous year and this cannot be done via the SA800 tax return. To...
rating 01 Aug, 2022 Views: 1500
Age-related allowance
In previous years, if you were 65 or over, you may have qualified for an additional age-related allowance on top of your personal allowance. Unfortunately for 2016/17, there is no additional allowance which can be claimed. See the table below for figures for 2016–17 and previous tax years. ...
rating 29 Mar, 2017 Views: 1471
HMRC Filing Exclusions and Special Cases 2020/21
HMRC Filing Exclusions 2020/21 Exclusions have arisen due to the previous introduction of additional allowances and bands for certain types of income, making the calculation of the tax liability more complex. HMRC systems expect our software to match their method of calculation in order for the...
rating 20 Apr, 2023 Views: 1440
How do I encrypt or password protect my tax return?
If you want to encrypt or protect your tax return so that it can only be read using a password, follow these steps: Open the tax return. Go to File > Password Encryption. Read the introduction text carefully. Set a new password as required. Save the return. When you next open the tax...
rating 07 Feb, 2020 Views: 1404

Prev Next