Knowledgebase Support HMRC Useful links
Knowledgebase home
Tax Return Production
Accounts Production
Practice Management
VAT Filer
Anti-Money Laundering
Support home
Video Training Guides

Hot Topics
SimpleStep Guides
Release Notes
Known Issues

Service Status
Useful Links
What is MTD? Support for Accountants Support for Business
HMRC's MTD Timeline
Digital Requirements
TaxCalc's MTD Journey
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
Step-by-step Guide
Sub Categories
folder SA100 Individual Return
folder SA800 Partnership Return
folder SA900 Trust Return
folder CT600 Corporation Tax Return
folder R40
folder Filing Online

Tax Return Production
Why don’t I have to make payments on account?
You don't need to make payments on account (POA) towards the next tax year if: The total tax due (less Class 2 NIC payment) for this year is under £1,000 Or More than 80% of the tax due is met by income tax deducted at source. Illustrated Example for point 1: POA are not due when the...
rating 02 Mar, 2018 Views: 1172
HMRC toolkits to help reduce errors in tax returns
HMRC publishes a series of toolkits to give guidance on areas where there are frequent errors in tax returns. These toolkits also set out steps you can take to reduce these errors. They are updated every year as required. The toolkits are available on the HMRC website (as PDFs) and cover the...
rating 17 Jun, 2016 Views: 1101
Where do I find the Capital Gains Tax summaries?
If you've completed the Capital Gains Tax pages in SimpleStep mode, the appropriate disposal, intermediate and final calculations will be in a pdf that's automatically attached to the return. You can view and print all your disposals and the intermediate and final summaries by following these...
rating 02 Mar, 2018 Views: 1074
How do I enter multiple entries for Capital Gains Tax on my SA900 return?
To enter multiple entries for Capital Gains Tax on your SA900 return, follow these steps: Go to Capital Gains > CG 1. Enter the figures for gains and losses. If you have different types of disposal, column AA, type Q,U,L,O you may need to split further. Add a further page if you have...
rating 23 Mar, 2021 Views: 1032
How do I claim foreign tax credit relief on my Capital Gains?
You can claim foreign tax credit relief on the Capital Gain entries on your tax return in SimpleStep or HMRC Forms mode. SimpleStep mode Go to Capital Gains Tax. Check that you've completed the required details on the Asset Details page. Go to Foreign Tax Credit relief. Complete the entries...
rating 21 Sep, 2015 Views: 1031
How do I claim investments or shares in a Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme?
You can claim income tax relief on investments in a Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme in SimpleStep or HMRC Forms mode. Go to Tax reliefs and allowances > Relief on investments. Enter the amount in the box labelled Subscriptions for shares under the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme. Go...
rating 06 Jun, 2023 Views: 1023
Can I submit to HMRC and Companies House at the same time?
Joint filing of accounts to HMRC and Companies House which HMRC offer is exclusive to them at the moment so no third party providers can do this via a tax return submission. Therefore, any third party application would need to file to HMRC and Companies House as part of a separate process. In...
rating 29 Mar, 2022 Views: 1020
Class 2 NIC from 2022/23 - small profits threshold and voluntary contributions
Changes to Class 2 NIC thresholds Prior to the 2022/23 tax year you needed to pay Class 2 NIC if your profits were above the Small Profits Threshold. For 2022/23 onwards, you pay Class 2 NIC if your profits are above the Lower Profits Limit (which is £11,908 in 2022/23). When can I pay...
rating 14 Jun, 2023 Views: 1018
CGT for non residents
Please see the following instructions below on how to complete the Capital Gains Tax (CGT) pages for a non-resident. The calculations completed on the return (and for capital gains tax) are not affected by the entries within the residence and remittance pages. Therefore if you know that the gain...
rating 05 Apr, 2023 Views: 1016
The company Registration number entered in the Accounts does not match the registration number on the CT600
If you receive this error message it means that either the downloaded file is corrupt or it contains special characters that HMRC can't read. Corrupt file If you opened the downloaded file and then used File > Save As, it might be corrupt. The correct way to save a downloaded file is to...
rating 31 Mar, 2017 Views: 1006
HMRC Filing Exclusions and Special Cases 2019/20
HMRC Filing Exclusions 2019/20 Exclusions have arisen due to the previous introduction of additional allowances. Bands for certain types of income which has made the calculation of the tax liability more complex. HMRC systems expect our software to match their method of calculation in order for...
rating 20 Apr, 2023 Views: 981
How do I calculate payments on account when there is Marriage Allowance?
HMRC are changing the calculation of payments on account when there is a Marriage Allowance transfer. Currently their SA110 notes suggest that payments on account should be calculated on the tax due amount, before applying the Marriage Allowance. The correct process is explained in the below...
rating 09 Mar, 2023 Views: 978
Information about the Trading/Property allowance
Trading and Property allowance came into effect in the 2017/18 tax year. This effectively means that if your income (before expenses) is less than the £1,000 value, you will no longer have to declare or pay tax on this income. HMRC have published information on their website surrounding the tax...
rating 09 Mar, 2023 Views: 975
How do I use the Annual pension allowance details wizard for defined benefit schemes
How do I use the Annual Pension Allowance details wizard for defined benefit schemes? Whilst our wizard refers to terminology for defined contribution pension schemes, it can be used to determine the annual allowance and any resulting pension tax charge for defined benefit schemes (also known as...
rating 29 Mar, 2023 Views: 971
What is a 5093 Invalid authentication type error?
When you receive the 5093 error message, this is because the UTR details entered when attempting to file are incorrect, or they do not match what HMRC are expecting. This message is sent directly from HMRC as the portal does not recognise the UTR for the chosen service. This error is common...
rating 09 Jun, 2021 Views: 953

Prev Next