Knowledgebase Support HMRC Useful links
Knowledgebase home
Tax Return Production
Accounts Production
Practice Management
VAT Filer
Anti-Money Laundering
Support home
Video Training Guides

Hot Topics
SimpleStep Guides
Release Notes
Known Issues

Service Status
Useful Links
What is MTD? Support for Accountants Support for Business
HMRC's MTD Timeline
Digital Requirements
TaxCalc's MTD Journey
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
Step-by-step Guide
Sub Categories
folder SA100 Individual Return
folder SA800 Partnership Return
folder SA900 Trust Return
folder CT600 Corporation Tax Return
folder R40
folder Filing Online

Tax Return Production
Importing a Tax Return stored as a file into the Database
TaxCalc defaults the tax returns to be stored in the central database. If you’re using a standalone or network version, you have the option to store your returns either in a local database or in regular files. We do not recommend this as it may cause potential duplication of data, particularly...
rating 09 Mar, 2023 Views: 1404
Basis Periods (First year rules) - Worked example of a business that started trading in 2021/22
First Year Rules A basis period is the time period that is used to determine taxable profits for a tax year. Where there is a commencement of trade during a tax year, the basis period will usually run to 5 April of that tax year, so an adjustment to the taxable profits may be necessary. The...
rating 29 Mar, 2023 Views: 1402
How do I access the What If? Planner?
The What If? Planner lets you forecast next year's tax bill. To access the planner, follow these steps: Open your individual tax return (SA100). ​Click on WhatIf Planner from the left hand menu. If you have purchased the What If? add on product and this option isn't available, check the...
rating 25 Oct, 2022 Views: 1382
What are the benefits of pre-ordering TaxCalc (Individual and Business users)?
If you're an Individual or Business customer, you can pre-order TaxCalc approximately 30 days before the update is released in late March. The benefits of pre-ordering TaxCalc are as follows: No extra cost. Avoid the Sales team at their busiest time. First to be notified of the release. ...
rating 08 Nov, 2022 Views: 1377
Class 4 National Insurance Contributions maximum charge when Class 1 contributions are also paid
What is meant by 'maximum charge' HMRC's annual Class 4 National Insurance Contribution (NIC) maximum is the device that limits the amount of Class 4 NICs payable in a tax year in addition to any Class 1 and 2 NICs payable. This means that an individual who is both employed and self-employed...
rating 14 Feb, 2023 Views: 1374
How do I import joint income between two tax returns (Practice User)?
You can import income from one return to another by following these steps: Open up an SA100 tax return. Select Joint income importing from the left-hand menu. Select Import joint data. Browse and search for the client you want to import the data from. Click on Select. Select the tax return...
rating 11 Aug, 2015 Views: 1361
How to defer class 4 NIC?
Deferring Class 4 NIC From 2015/16, you are no longer able to defer Class 4 NIC. HMRC have changed the rules and if you wish to find out further information, please visit the HMRC website: Defer your National Insurance. However, you may be able to claim a refund for previous tax years. If you...
rating 05 Apr, 2023 Views: 1314
HMRC Filing Exclusions and Special Cases 2021/22
HMRC Filing Exclusions 2021/22 Exclusions have arisen due to the previous introduction of additional allowances and bands for certain types of income, making the calculation of the tax liability more complex. HMRC systems expect our software to match their method of calculation in order for the...
rating 20 Apr, 2023 Views: 1302
Where do I enter tax deducted for share schemes?
Enter tax deducted for share schemes in the employment pages. Don't complete the share scheme box for taxable amounts that your employer has fully taxed. Normally these amounts are already included in your P60 (or P45 if you've left employment) and these are included in the employment pages. ...
rating 13 Jul, 2015 Views: 1288
On an R40, where do I report interest from an authorised unit trust (AUT) or an open-ended investment company (OEIC)?
You should report interest from an authorised unit trust (AUT) or an open-ended investment company (OEIC) in the following boxes: Box 3.1 – net interest paid by AUTs and OEICs. Box 3.2 – the tax deducted from this interest. Box 3.3 – the gross amount of interest. Box 3.6 – dividends...
rating 15 May, 2015 Views: 1287
How do I apply the Scottish tax rate to my return and what impact does this have?
When using TaxCalc, the tax return should automatically have the tax rate applied based on the postcode of the address on the return. Therefore the return will automatically apply the Scottish rate if there is a Scottish postcode. If this doesn't happen, please ensure that you are running the...
rating 19 Feb, 2024 Views: 1236
Where do I enter an averaging adjustment?
To enter an averaging adjustment you need to go into the Full Self Employment pages. SimpleStep mode Go to Your Work > Self Employment > Annualised turnover. Tick the bottom box for Are any of the above true (or do you wish to complete the Full form for any other reason)? Click Next...
rating 22 May, 2023 Views: 1223
How do I use the Batch Filer module?
The Batch Filer module allows you to file SA100, SA800, SA900 and CT600 tax returns in batches instead of individually. You can access Batch Filer from the home screen. The Batch Filer screen will give you details of any previous batches created and break them down by name, number of returns,...
rating 02 Nov, 2023 Views: 1198
Network Access is Disabled
When submitting a tax return through to HMRC, it can sometimes fail with the message 'Network access is disabled' There are a few reasons for potentially obtaining this error when sending a live submission through the gateway. These include: Proxy Server Firewall/Anti-Virus blocking...
rating 29 Mar, 2022 Views: 1195
Filing a CT600 for a non-resident company
From 6 April 2020, non-UK resident companies including those who invest in UK property through collective investment vehicles (CIV) will need to pay Corporation Tax instead of Income Tax on profits from UK property. This will require submission of an annual corporation tax return (CT600) and...
rating 09 May, 2022 Views: 1193

Prev Next