In order to set up the Beta test version, you need to transfer a backup from your live system onto another computer to ensure that you have data to work with. The instructions required to do so are listed below.
- Ensure all TaxCalc users are logged off of the software.
- Network users will need to log onto the machine which acts as the TaxCalc server with the admin username and password. Standalone users should log in as normal.
- Go to Admin Centre > Database > Backup database.
- Save the backup to your desktop.
- Then transfer the backup file to a USB stick or Cloud storage solution such as OneDrive or Dropbox for transfer to your beta computer.
Ensuring previous versions of TaxCalc are removed
- Browse to Control Panel and go through Add/remove programs.
- Ensure TaxCalcHub and PostgreSQL are not appearing in the list.
- If only TaxCalcHub is listed as installed then simply uninstall single click on TaxCalcHub and uninstall/Change
- If PostgreSQL and TaxCalc are installed then please contact our support team for further information on how to do this.
Downloading the current version of TaxCalc on your Beta computer
- Log in to the TaxCalc website with your live licence details
- Download the current installation file from the website on the Beta computer
- When licensing, ensure that you now use your beta credentials which you should have received by email separately.
- When you get the initial setup wizard for TaxCalc, only populate the password field. When you restore from your backup file these details will be pre-populated for you.
- Log in to TaxCalc on the beta machine.
- Go to Admin Centre > Database > Restore backup from file.
- Click No to the option to take a backup then browse to the location of your backup file.
Note if you are on the network version you will be prompted to enter you root database password. If you are unsure of your Root DB password please follow the instructions within our Knowledge Base article for How do I reset my database root password? to reset as required.
At this point you will now have an exact replica of the software which is currently running on your main computer. This means that the TaxCalc admin password will have now reverted to the original password you use on the main computer. If you are unable to remember this then you will be able to request the password reset on screen. You will need to ensure that you use your beta credentials at this point.
Downloading the Beta test version
In the email which contains your beta credentials, you will also receive the installation link for the version which we require tested. You will need to run this over the top of the version which is running on your beta machine.
It is worth noting that if you are on the network version of the software and the machines are on the same network, the other users will now have 2 visible databases which they can access. They should remain on the database which they have always connected to and simply login. If they click on the wrong database and choose the database which is being used for testing, this may change some files in their local folder and will mean that they cannot re-connect to the existing database without the software being uninstalled and then reinstalled.