On occasion you may find that you need to move older versions of TaxCalchub (Pre 2013) and its data to a new computer. The required steps are as follows:
- Install the required years' program on your new computer
- Copy the relevant returns from the old PC
- Associate these returns with the relevant years' programs
Install the required years' program
If you purchased an older version, you will have to download them before running them.
- On the new computer, go to www.taxcalc.com and log in to your account using your email address and password.
- From the My Products page, click on the link near the bottom that says Download Previous years products and download the version of TaxCalc that you need to run.
- Download, install and then license TaxCalc by following the onscreen instructions to license the software by entering a licence code. You cannot licence 2012 or earlier years unless you enter a code. Internet activation has been disabled.
Please note: If you choose to install from a CD, you should always check for an update aterwards by clicking on Settings > TaxCalc Update > Run TaxCalc Update Now.
Copy the files from the old computer
If you have been using TaxCalc for some years, you will have data files from previous versions. You will need to copy these from your old computer to a backup disk (such as a USB drive or CD) so they can be transferred to your new computer.
If the files are already in separate folders and you want to keep the same file structure and folder names on your new computer, just copy them as is to the backup device.
If you are not sure where the files have been saved:
- Create a ‘new folder’ on the backup disc to copy the files into (for example 'returns 2012' for 2012 tax returns).
- Open ‘My Computer’ and Search your working area for files with name *.tcs12 to find individual SA100 returns for 2012.
- Select the results and copy then paste them into the 'returns 2012' folder created on the backup device.
- Repeat the search for *.tcp12 (partnership returns) and copy them to the 'returns 2012' folder.
- If you complete company returns, search for *.c04 and *.ct.
- You will end up with a 'returns 2012' folder containing all your 2012 tax returns (individual, partnership and company) or a copy of your original folder(s) on the backup device.
Repeat this for any years you require. See below for all previous file types.
||.s06 .s07 .s08 .s09
||.p06 .p07 .p08 .p09
||.t06 .t07 .t08 .t09
Transfer files to a new computer
- Copy the required folders or file structure from the backup device onto the new computer.
- Update the ‘Homescreen’ list in the correct years program by clicking Settings > Refresh Clients, then browsing to and selecting the folder where the returns for that year have been copied to.
- On the new computer update Practice details with your address and HMRC credentials - you will need these for any 'new' clients.
Repeat this process for all required program years.
If you need to move files to the 2013, 2014 or later iterations of the TaxCalc program, please refer to the following links for more information:
Please note: There was only one version of TaxCalc 2012, 2011 and earlier. Users on a 'network' simply accessed files across a file share. If you need to configure multiple machines for older versions of TaxCalc, put the files in a share and install it on as many machines as needed. Update the homescreen on each machine and browse to the network share to see the returns.