Moving TaxCalc to a new PC is a four-step process (see below). The instructions are broadly the same whether you use the SQLite database or Postgres but any differences are noted.
If you store tax returns outside the database, contact our Support team before continuing.
1. Make a backup (old PC)
- Go to Hub > Administration > Database.
- Click on Backup Database.
- Select the destination for the backup file being created – for example, memory stick, removable hard drive or shared network.
- Once the backup is complete click on OK and exit the program.
2. Uninstall the program (old PC)
- Make sure the PC is connected to the internet.
- Remove TaxCalc, by going to Computer > Uninstall or change and choosing TaxCalc to uninstall.
IMPORTANT: This doesn't remove data files from the old PC, just the program files. Data is left intact.
3. Install TaxCalc (new PC)
- Log in to TaxCalc.
- Click on My Account.
- Click on Download.
- Tick the box I understand… then click on Download.
- When the download is complete, double-click on the file to start the installation leaving all options at the default.
- Set the location of the database (SQLite only) – Just me for your profile path or All users for c:\taxcalchub\sqlite (this database is called hub.sqlite).
- Complete the installation
- Once the program is loaded, run it once to make sure it's working.
NOTE: If you get an 'invalid mac address' message when trying to install on the new machine, contact our Support team. This means that TaxCalc may already be installed on the maximum number of machines for that account.
4. Restore the backup (new PC)
- Insert the memory stick or removable hard drive into the new PC (if used).
- Open TaxCalc.
- Go to Administration > Backup
- Restore the backup file from wherever you saved it at the backup stage.
The data from the old PC should now be visible within TaxCalc.
NOTE: This restore operation will restore the data as it was on the old machine so should not be performed on a PC where data has been entered since the installation.