Tax Returns can be stored outside of the database, but on occasion you may wish to import them into the database. This has the advantage of not being reliant on the machine you are using being able to see the tax return file location as the data is stored in the database it is always available.
- Open TaxCalc.
- select the client that has the return you wish to import into the database.
- Open in Tax Return Production.
- Any returns saved as a file will show a link next to the period (any returns that should be linked but cannot be found are shown as a Broken red link).
In the above example tax return screen, it shows one as a file, one as a broken link (the file is not found) and two saved in the database.
To import the return into the database
- Select the tax return to import.
- Click on Properties then import.
- This imports the file into the database so it will always be found.
To import a file with a broken link
- Select the return
- Click on properties
- The location where the file was when created is shown.
- Select relocate and browse to the files new location
- Select the file.
- Once relocated and the link is not red, you can then import the return into the database as per the instructions above.
Note: Importing the tax return does not delete the original file from the file structure.