Knowledgebase Support HMRC Useful links
Knowledgebase home
Tax Return Production
Accounts Production
Practice Management
VAT Filer
Anti-Money Laundering
Support home
Video Training Guides

Hot Topics
SimpleStep Guides
Release Notes
Known Issues

HMRC Status
Useful Links
MTD for Agents MTD for Businesses What is MTD
Agent Services Account
MTD for Income Tax
Digital Record Keeping
Quarterly Updates
Step-by-step Guide
HMRC's MTD Timeline
TaxCalc's MTD Journey
SA100 Individual Return
How do I import a return from the previous year's tax return? (Individual Users)
Depending on whether you are looking to import a single tax return file or multiple tax return files, the instructions will vary. Below are 2 videos, the first for importing multiple tax returns and the second for single file. Video 1 - Multiple tax return files Video 2 - Single tax return...
rating 05 Nov, 2020 Views: 3044
How to use the Pension Input Wizard 2018-19?
For wizard information for the 2019-20 tax year, please see: How to use the pension contribution details wizard for 2019-20? The Wizard has 3 sections: Excess contributions calculation 2018-19: Use to work out the excess contributions before any brought forward allowances can be used. ...
rating 26 Mar, 2020 Views: 2918
HMRC API - Service status & common messages
Below are some common questions, queries and answers regarding the HMRC API facility that can be found within TaxCalc: Who should complete the identity check during authorisation? The identity check should be completed by someone who is authorised to act for your firm. (Details asked include...
rating 30 Oct, 2018 Views: 2845
How do I restrict the use of the losses carried forward?
You can't restrict the use of losses that have been carried forward from a previous year as they must be used against the first available profits. This means that you can't reduce the amount of the loss to use up the personal allowance first. HMRC states that the losses should be deducted from...
rating 25 Feb, 2015 Views: 2796
How do I make a claim for Enterprise Investment Scheme deferral relief?
To claim for Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) deferral relief, you need to enter details of the asset under Capital Gains. If you already have a PDF summary of the information relating to Capital Gains, you can use HMRC Forms mode. SimpleStep mode Complete the Asset Details screen. Tick...
rating 03 Aug, 2020 Views: 2760
How to use HMRC Self assessment APIs for Individuals
What are APIs? HMRC have provided a method of obtaining information relevant to the completion of a Tax Return called Application Program Interfaces or APIs. This is the first part of their overall Digital transformation project known as Making Tax Digital. Not an Individual user? The...
rating 07 Aug, 2019 Views: 2689
How to enter Voluntary Class 2 NIC for Self-Employment, Partnerships and Lloyds
If your profits (self-employment, Partnership and Lloyds) are less than the threshold of £5,965 and you want to make voluntary contributions, please follow these steps. Please note that if the profits are above the threshold of £5,965, then the boxes should not be ticked. Self-Employment ...
rating 20 Feb, 2020 Views: 2628
How do I write off small pools in the Capital Allowances grid?
To write off small pools (with a balance of less than £1,000) and claim the allowance, first open the Capital Allowances grid. SimpleStep mode SA100 – Your Work > Self Employment > Short/Full Form – Details > Capital Allowances SA800 – Trades or professions for (XXX) >...
rating 28 Jul, 2020 Views: 2581
What information will I receive when using HMRC Self Assessment APIs?
HMRC have provided a method of sending information relevant to the completion of a Tax Return called Application Program Interfaces or APIs. This is the first part of their overall Digital transformation project known as Making Tax Digital. This allows TaxCalc to request information held by...
rating 06 Nov, 2017 Views: 2553
HMRC API - Available Tax Years
The HMRC API can be used with the following years. Note if a submission has already been made, this will not return any data 2018/19 2017/18 2016/17 2015/16 The following years are available but may NOT return relevant data as HMRC are currently conducting automatic reconciliation (this...
rating 26 May, 2020 Views: 2378
How do I enter multiple share trading transactions I have from a broker?
Unfortunately, TaxCalc cannot deal with transactions where you have purchased shares at different prices at different times (including the 30 days, bed and breakfast etc.) also known as Section 104 holding. When entering the information relating to Capital Gains Tax, there are 2 approaches you can...
rating 21 Mar, 2019 Views: 2342
Where do I enter payments on account?
To enter payments on account, go to the Payments on account section using SimpleStep or HMRC Forms. SimpleStep mode Select Working out your tax from the left-hand menu. Click Next Step and tick the box Did you receive a statement of account? Click Next Step again to get to the Payments on...
rating 20 Feb, 2020 Views: 2272
Where do I enter overlap relief for self employment?
You can only claim overlap relief using the Full Self Employment pages. SimpleStep mode Click on Your Work. Select the Self Employment option. Click on Next step to continue to the Annualised turnover screen. Tick yes to the question Are any of the above true (or do you wish to complete the...
rating 27 Jul, 2020 Views: 2272
You must enter the Type of capital allowances / purchase date
If you receive either of these error messages when you click on Check & Finish, it means that there's an empty asset somewhere within the Capital Allowance wizard. To correct this you will need to go into the Capital Allowance wizard in SimpleStep mode and remove the empty asset. Further...
rating 20 Feb, 2020 Views: 2135
How much tax will I need to pay in January?
The information you provide within the SA302 calculation will determine how much tax is due. This calculation will then apply any tax already deducted and leave you with a balancing payment (if there's any tax outstanding) or a repayment due (if you've overpaid in tax). If your total tax bill is...
rating 24 Mar, 2020 Views: 2130

Prev Next
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10