Knowledgebase Support HMRC Useful links
Knowledgebase home
Tax Return Production
Accounts Production
Client Hub
Practice Management
VAT Filer
Anti-Money Laundering
Support home
Hot Topics
SimpleStep Guides
Release Notes
Known Issues

HMRC Status
Useful Links
Accountancy Practices
and Tax Advisors
Individuals, Businesses, Trusts
and Partnerships
Client Hub
Accounts Production
Tax Return Production
VAT Filer
Company Incorporator
Companies House Forms
Companies House Integration
GDPR Centre
eSign Centre

AML Identity Checking
Limited Company

VAT Filer for Business

Information about the Trading/Property allowance

Article ID: 2849
Last updated: 05 Dec, 2018

HMRC have published information on their website surrounding their new tax allowance. 

This new allowance starting from 2017/18 tax year, effectively means that if your income (before expenses) is less than the £1,000 value, you will no longer have to declare or pay tax on this income.  

If your income is over the threshold, it means that individuals will now be able to complete one of two actions for calculating your taxable profits:

  1. Deduct the allowance from your receipts, instead of deducting the actual allowable expenses. The trading allowance will also apply for Class 4 National Insurance contribution purposes.
  2. If your allowable expenses are higher than the allowance, you would continue to claim these to reduce your profits overall and effectively the allowance is lost.

In order to input this into the software, you need to locate the page in the software for trade/property. The HMRC Forms locations have been included below for reference:

  • Property: UK Property > Page 1 > Box 5.1 or Page 2 > Box 20.1
  • Trade: Self employment > Short Form - Page 1 Box 10.1 Full form - Page 1 Box 16.1
Article ID: 2849
Last updated: 05 Dec, 2018
Revision: 2
Views: 85
This article was:  

Also listed in
folder Tax Return Production -> SA100 Individual Return