Knowledgebase Support HMRC Useful links
Knowledgebase home
Tax Return Production
Accounts Production
Practice Management
VAT Filer
Anti-Money Laundering
Support home
Video Training Guides

Hot Topics
SimpleStep Guides
Release Notes
Known Issues

Service Status
Useful Links
What is MTD? Support for Accountants Support for Business
HMRC's MTD Timeline
Digital Requirements
TaxCalc's MTD Journey
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
MTD for Income Tax
MTD for Corporation Tax
Step-by-step Guide

How do I declare to HMRC that a company has ceased trading?

Article ID: 2523
Last updated: 14 Feb, 2023

When a company ceases trading, HMRC generally considers it to be dormant for corporation tax purposes. You will need to inform HMRC that the company is not trading which can be done online or by phone or post. Once HMRC is informed, the company will not need to file a company tax return (CT600) unless a notice to deliver a company tax return is received. However, Companies House will require confirmation statements and accounts to continue for companies considered dormant for Companies House purposes. Dormant companies remain on the Companies House register and can restart trading in the future.

If the company is not expecting to restart trading, it can apply to the Companies House registrar to be removed. HMRC must be informed in writing of the intention to strike off the company. If the company has traded up to this point, the final accounts and a corporation tax return (CT600) must also be sent.

Article ID: 2523
Last updated: 14 Feb, 2023
Revision: 11
Views: 7361
This article was:  

Also listed in
folder Tax Return Production -> CT600 Corporation Tax Return