To claim for Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) deferral relief, you need to enter details of the asset under Capital Gains. If you already have a PDF summary of the information relating to Capital Gains, you can use HMRC Forms mode.
- Complete the Asset Details screen.
- Tick Tick box if you are claiming any other reliefs or elections for this asset e.g. Private Residence Relief, EIS Deferral Relief, Roll over / Hold Over relief.
- Enter the amount of loss in EIS deferral relief. This box is for informational purposes only and will not decrease any gains/tax due at this point.
- Go to the 2019-20 losses screen and tick the box Do you wish to change the way in which losses are off-set?
- Enter the amount of loss in the appropriate box, depending on how you want to allocate this.
If offsetting losses against previous years, go to Working out your tax > Tax Adjustments > Adjustments to an earlier year, that decrease your tax and enter the tax adjustment – this is the difference in tax due in prior years after carrying the loss back to that year.
HMRC Forms mode
- Go to the Capital Gains pages and complete the information on CG1 and CG2, filling in the totals as required.
- Go to the Check and Finish page and select Attach.
- Browse to where the pdf summary is saved and attach it.
For further assistance on EIS and Capital Gains Tax, read the HMRC helpsheet.