If you receive this error message it means that one of the following is incorrect:
- HMRC user ID
- HMRC password
- VAT Registration number
- Check HMRC gateway account, the postcode of the client is the same as in Taxcalc.
- If you are an agent, is there an 64-8 in place for the client?
There are several ways you can fix this:
- Check that you can log in to HMRC’s website using yours or your agent credentials and make sure that the account is enabled to submit VAT returns.
- Submit a tax return (preferably a test) and see if it's successful. If this fails you may need to contact HMRC directly to try and resolve the issue.
- Make sure that the correct information is entered in the Online Filing Settings menu in Client Hub (Administration > Applications > VAT Return Production).
- Manually overwrite the automatic entries on the File Return by Internet page to test that the credentials are correct.
You can find out more about these errors in What is a '1046' Authentication Error?
PLEASE NOTE: The credentials you use for VAT Filing may be different to that for Self Assessment returns.
If this doesn't work and you're still having problems call HMRC on 0300 200 3700.