TaxCalc is now available as a native version for Linux users. The installer package should work on most Linux distributions.
The process is the almost same as the Windows installation process, but without the option to install for all users or just me.
- Go to www.taxcalc.com, login and download the Linux installer from the downloads link..
- Go to Select Operating System > Linux.
- Double-click on the downloaded installer file.
- If you receive an error message saying There is no application installed for 'executable' files. Do you want to search for an application to open this file? read the Knowledge Base article How to allow the TaxCalc installer to execute on Linux.
- Accept the default path for the program installation.
- Accept the licence.
- Click Install.
- Launch TaxCalc when finished.
- On the Welcome to TaxCalc screen, click Next.
- Click Agree.
- Enter your email address and password (for the TaxCalc website).
- TaxCalc will start and create the database upon the first run.
- Backup and restore options (practice users only) will work in exactly the same way. Backups will go by default to the Home/Documents directory.
- The database (practice users only) is in your users home directory: Home/.acorah software products/taxcalchub. This is usually hidden.
- The default location for saving returns (for individual users) is Home/Documents.
- There's no desktop icon but you can make a link for your desktop. The executable file is Home/TaxCalcHub/bin/TaxCalcHub.